The Chicago Symposium is a forum for faculty and graduate students in education, mathematics, and science devoted to improving teaching and learning of mathematics and science. Our inter-disciplinary forums bring together people from universities, 4-year colleges and 2-year colleges.
The mission of the Chicago Symposium Series is to sustain a dynamic interdisciplinary, inter-institutional community of scholars, who are well-informed about national and local initiatives and research on mathematics and science education, for the purpose of improving instructional practice.
- To encourage productive dialog among faculty from universities, 4-year colleges and community colleges on the common issue of instructional improvement.
- To highlight exemplary practices from Chicago area institutions.
- To assist Chicago area faculty in making and maintaining professional contacts.
- To inform mathematics and science faculty on current research in mathematics and science education and point out ways in which research can directly impact their own teaching.
- To increase awareness of how institutions of higher learning may impact pre-college math and science instruction and involve faculty in preparation of future teachers.
- To strengthen relationships and partnerships with the Chicago Public Schools
The Chicago Symposium Series is generously funded by the University of Illinois and by the institutions of higher education which participate in the Series. The University of Illinois provides annual funding to the Symposium. Additional financial support is provided by the host institution for each symposium event.
During the past 23 years, more than 1000 faculty and graduate students representing over 150 institutions have participated in the symposia. Our symposia have been hosted by:
- Adler Planetarium
- Chicago State University
- DePaul University
- Harold Washington College
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Loyola University Chicago
- National-Louis University
- Neighbors for Environmental Justice
- North Park University
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Northeastern Illinois University / North Park University
- Northern Illinois University - Naperville
- Northwestern University
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
- Roosevelt University
- Rush Medical College
- Saint Xavier University
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Virtual Chicago Symposium
- Virtual Coffee Hours
- William Rainey Harper College